Friday, July 29, 2011

Fear of Writing

First, let me just say that I’m not an expert on the English language. And by not an expert, I mean I’m really bad at it.

Example: Friends from overseas constantly ask me what English words for such-and-such and so-and-so are, to which I constantly answer with blank stares and shrugs.

And in case you hadn’t noticed, the same goes for grammar.

There was a time when I let these little handicaps of mine get in the way of pursuing my life-long dream of being a writer, but now those days are over. I’ve decided to stop being ashamed of my weaknesses and start dealing with them.

Now, I’m not saying that I’ve cured my disease, but I’m working really hard and I get better every day.

Here are the top three things I do on a regular basis to help curb the symptoms:

1. Read; alternating classics with books from my genre
2. Study poetry and imagery
3. Regularly have amazing conversations with a good friend of mine who is an expert on literature

If you don’t think you have the skills to become a writer, let me encourage you to stop doubting yourself and start pursuing your dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment