Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I Think I Have Editor's Block

The last couple of days have been like a giant traffic jam of workflow. I haven’t gotten nearly as much accomplished as I intended. I like to blame it on Netflix for adding four seasons of Mad Men to Watch Instantly, but I know it’s my fault for getting distracted so easily.

I think I’ve figured out my problem, though. I’m pretty sure I have editor’s block. I’ve never had a problem with writer’s block, but I’ve always had issues with editing. I would almost rather have the flu than edit my manuscripts. One of my biggest pitfalls is taking a look at the big picture and getting bogged down in the details. I tend to do that quite a bit and it's about then that I start despising my work and getting burnt out.

Also, I tend to get bored when I’m not constantly exploring my characters and their journeys. That’s my favorite part. Let’s face it though, I can’t do anything to change the writing process. Editing is a very necessary component.

Every once in a while, though, I come across something I wrote and I think, “Did I write that? Holy cow.” Those little moments inspire me to keep slogging through the mud, and give me hope that, in the end, I’ll have a sparkling manuscript that I can call my own and be extremely proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment