Thursday, August 4, 2011

When I'm Not Writing

Hobbies

This weekend is the biggest moped rally of the year in the world and I’m probably not going. This saddens me, but honestly, the last thing I want right now is have blazing hot air blast me in the face at 45 mph. Imagine aiming a hairdryer at yourself and turning it on full blast. That’s what it’s like.

The thing about moped rallies is that there’s nothing else quite like it. Basically, about three hundred 20 and 30-somethings get together and ride mopeds around the entire weekend and act a little crazy. We get quite a lot of strange looks from people that are wondering what we’re doing, but we’re used to it so we don’t mind.

Really, though, I’m torn. Maybe I’ll decide to go after all.

Here's a promo video they did for last year's rally:


Reading

I just finished Mary Oliver’s A POETRY HANDBOOK. It was fantastic but I’m not gonna lie, I’m ready for some fiction. The reading was so heavy and dense that now my brain is exhausted. Funny thing is, the next book on my self-education list is A HANDBOOK OF CRITICAL APPROACHES TO LITERATURE. I might have to come back to that one.

On a brighter note, I’ve got quite a few YA books on my list to buy the next time I’m at the bookstore. I’m pretty stoked about having some fresh blood on my bookshelf.

Also, I decided today that I’m going to add Georgette Heyer to the list. I’m surprised I haven’t read any of her books yet. That’s something that I’m hoping to remedy rather quickly.

Earlier tonight, I read Tennyson’s “Charge of the Light Brigade”. My husband has recited it to me several times before, but there’s something about seeing the words written on the page that make the experience so much more intense. I could hear the cannons fire, feel the soldier's fear, and sense the brutality and futility of the situation. It’s incredible when that sort of thing happens in less than 300 words.

Distractions

Lately, I’ve been messing around on Pinterest. Let me tell you, it’s so easy to get sucked in to that website. Especially if you’re into looking at bazillions of pretty pictures for hours and hours on end.


It’s actually a great place for inspiration and considering I’m also an artist, it’s like crack.

You should check it out if you haven’t already.

No comments:

Post a Comment