Wednesday, August 10, 2011

You Can't Command+Z Everything

Yesterday, I was fiddling around with fonts on my Mac and I somehow managed to jumble up every single Word document I’ve ever saved on my computer. I was editing Chapter 7 of Brilliant Idea # 2 when everything crashed.

My initial reaction (like most graphic designers) was to hit Command+Z, but seeing as how life doesn’t operate like a computer, I opted for something a bit more sensible. I restarted Word and auto recovery kicked in. Unfortunately, it crashed again before I could hit save, thus leaving me out an entire day’s work. As predicted, it sent me into a flurry of panic. How was I supposed to do all of that work again?

If only I had saved my work. Yes, if only I had.

So, I woke up this morning and tinkered around a little bit with my fonts and, lo and behold, I fixed it! I can finally move forward with my work!

I supposed I should hang my head in shame for not being more responsible. After all, one of the cardinal rules of just about any vocation is “always save your work”. But, eh well, I fixed it, and I’m human. Sometimes I mess up.

Now all I have to do is re-edit Chapter 7 and wait for my blood pressure to return to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment